AfterLogic Forum : General Issues
Subject Topic: Outgoing spam filter tips? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
bens

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 May 2006 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote bens

Hi there,
Please let me know what solutions you use to block spam, both incoming and outgoing. Blocking the outgoing is more important - since I don't want my server to be blacklisted!
The context is that we use Mailbee Objects v5.3 (especially POP3 object) for our webmail, running on IIS/ASP. We offer webmail accounts for free, hence sometimes spammers sign up and abuse the account. We need some way of blocking their outgoing emails, and those from innocent users who have an outlook virus for example.
I freely admit to being a learner when it comes to email systems setup , hence I come to you to see if there's a neat solution that works well with Mailbee.
TIA,
Ben
Back to Top View bens's Profile Search for other posts by bens

Alex
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 30 May 2006 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote Alex

Incoming spam filters are usually implemented as plug-ins to mail servers or standalone servers or services (like http://cleanport.com). Standalone servers and services can be used with wide range of mail servers since they communicate with mail server via standard SMTP protocol.

As for outgoing spam filtering, you may first of all try to tune the settings of your mail server. For instance, for IIS SMTP service, you should configure "Limit number of messages per connection" and "Limit number of recipients per message", so spammers would not be able to perform bulk mailing via your mail server.

This properties are available through "Computer Management" window at "Services and Applications\Internet Information Services\Default SMTP Virtual Server\Properties" on "Messages" tab.

Other mail servers may provide more advanced bulk mailing control such as "Limit number of messages from IP address per hour", etc. Or, you can make these checks in your webmail application.

Also, to protect the mails from viruses you can use the corresponding anti-virus software (e.g. Symantec AntiVirus at http://www.symantec.com/product/index.jsp)

Besides that, you may like to use another mail server (e.g. SurgeMail at http://netwinsite.com/surgemail), which provides additional embedded anti-spam and anti-virus features.

Regards,
Alex
Back to Top View Alex's Profile Search for other posts by Alex

asia

Posted: 26 November 2009 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote asia

Thank you very much for this!
Back to Top View asia's Profile Search for other posts by asia Visit asia's Homepage

makrio123

Posted: 30 December 2009 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote makrio123

These are really good tips but do not you think sometimes important emails come to your spam folder and mostly it happens when you sign up or register.

As for me its good to have a slight look on your spam mails before deleting it. What doyou say?
Back to Top View makrio123's Profile Search for other posts by makrio123 Visit makrio123's Homepage

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 31 December 2009 at 3:03am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Actually, this thread is about outgoing spam filtering, and the examples you provided are not the case: it's about sending mails and not receiving them.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version