Subject Topic: Calendar notifications problem Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
solkmaaker

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 30 March 2022 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote solkmaaker

Hello Igor

Can you test one thing.

Create calendar and share (edit permission) it with somebody within your organisation.
Then let that other person create event with notification and add you as participant.

Problem i'm facing is: if event is created not by calendar owner, event creator does not get reminder.
I see in logs that reminder is sent only to participant, and not the event host.

Also, in that case, host does not see if participant has accepted event (orange dot).
If host opens "accepted" mail, nothing happens.
But if event is created by calendar and he owner opens "accepted" mail, then Calendar menu item flashes once and new event is created to personal calendar and both items on calendar (personal and shared calendar) are in accepted state to participant.

Same behavior in 9.3.2 and 9.3.1

Back to Top View solkmaaker's Profile Search for other posts by solkmaaker

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 30 March 2022 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote Igor

Hello,

Thanks a lot for the detailed description of the issue, I've asked the developers to take a look. Will get back to you once I have news.

--
Regards,
Igor, Afterlogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 22 April 2022 at 2:10am | IP Logged Quote Igor

We believe these issues were corrected in the recent 9.4.0 release. Thank you.

--
Regards,
Igor, Afterlogic Support

solkmaaker

Posted: 23 April 2022 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote solkmaaker

Hello Igor

Clean install of v9.4.1
user1 creates calendar named "Shared" and shares this calendar with write permissions to user2.
user2 creates event with subject "Test" to calendar "Shared", adds user1 as guest and sets alarm for 5 min before event and saves event.
When time comes, notifications go out as expected to both users.

Problem with clean install:
But, if user1 (who created shared calendar) creates event and adds user2 as guest, when user2 accepts event, in his private calendar event is added, so now user2 sees two events with same name.
And when user1 deletes event from shared calendar, user2 is left with event in his private calendar that cannot be deleted, probably because host of that event is user1.
(This is not new thing, same behavior was in previous versions too.)

Problem with upgraded aurora:
I did upgrade from v9.3.3 to v9.4.1 without custom plugins that do not come from Afterlogic.
(no gulp build, just unpack zip, DB is upgraded with create/update tables)
user1 creates calendar named "Shared" and shares this calendar with write permissions to user2.
user2 creates event with subject "Test" to calendar "Shared", adds user1 as guest and sets alarm for 5 min before event and saves event.
At this point, e-mail is sent out to user1 with ics file about that event.
user1 accepts event and e-mail is sent to user2 about this.
So far, so good.
In mean time there is a time to run cronjob (/modules/Calendar/Cron.php every 5 min) to check if there is need to send any reminders out (time for reminder for created event is not yet here), and that produced an error:
Code:

PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to a member function getManager() on bool in /var/www/modules/Calendar/Cron.php:44
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/modules/Calendar/Cron.php(51): Aurora\Modules\Calendar\Reminder->__construct()
#1 /var/www/modules/Calendar/Cron.php(555): Aurora\Modules\Calendar\Reminder::NewInstance()
#2 {main}
thrown in /var/www/modules/Calendar/Cron.php on line 44

And same error is produced now every time cronjob runs (every 5 min).

And when time comes reminders are not sent.

solkmaaker

Posted: 24 April 2022 at 5:12am | IP Logged Quote solkmaaker

Did some more testing.
I suspected that something is wrong with DB in our test env.
Imported DB from live and did same upgrade (from v9.3.3 to v9.4.1)
And now notification sending works as expected.
I have no idea what could go wrong with test DB, but now it works.

Also, one thing i did differently was that first upgrade (that gave errors) i used superadmin login from main page and second test i used superadmin login to create/update tables from /adminpanel

As i deleted mail servers and tenants from imported DB, i noticed that there are some orphaned data.
(dav update php complained about UUID's that should no longer be in DB)
Is there any way to actually clean database from orphaned data?

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 25 April 2022 at 12:08am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
But, if user1 (who created shared calendar) creates event and adds user2 as guest, when user2 accepts event, in his private calendar event is added, so now user2 sees two events with same name.
And when user1 deletes event from shared calendar, user2 is left with event in his private calendar that cannot be deleted, probably because host of that event is user1.

Thank you, I'll check this with the developers. By the way, user2 should be able to remove the event by hitting "Decline" in it.

Quote:
As i deleted mail servers and tenants from imported DB, i noticed that there are some orphaned data.
(dav update php complained about UUID's that should no longer be in DB)

We'll need a copy of that output, one line should suffice. Thank you.

--
Regards,
Igor, Afterlogic Support

solkmaaker

Posted: 25 April 2022 at 1:15am | IP Logged Quote solkmaaker

Quote:

By the way, user2 should be able to remove the event by hitting "Decline" in it.

You are correct. If user2 decliens event, then event is deleted from his calendar, thank you.

Quote:

We'll need a copy of that output, one line should suffice. Thank you.

Code:

Start UpgradePrincipals in calendarinstances table
Can't find user with UUID: user@domain.com
etc
etc

But this domain should no longer exists since mail server and tenant for this domain was deleted.

And later:
Code:

Start UpgradePrincipals in addressbooks table
Can't find user with UUID:  user@domain.com
Can't find user with UUID:  user@domain.net
Can't find user with UUID:  3_dav_tenant_user@localhost
etc
etc

None of those users should no longer exist.

Both blocks also include users that do exist, why is that?

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 26 April 2022 at 4:13am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Just heard from the developers on this, turns out calling update_dav.php script is no longer required, it was necessary in version 8 to migrate from older versions of SabreDAV framework, but not in v9 anymore. We'll be updating the instructions, of course. Thank you.

--
Regards,
Igor, Afterlogic Support

solkmaaker

Posted: 26 April 2022 at 5:33am | IP Logged Quote solkmaaker

Ok, thank you for update.

But what about this orphan data?
Is there a way to clean it up?

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 26 April 2022 at 5:56am | IP Logged Quote Igor

I think I know where the issue could be coming from. Quite recently, we've corrected the issue with users not getting deleted upon deleting the mail server.

I'd recommend using the samples found here:

Batch delete user accounts

The first sample generates the list of all the users on the installation, you'll need to review the list and edit it so it only contains the accounts you wish to be purged, then run the second script with that list. It's best to backup the database before running those scripts.

Hope this helps.

--
Regards,
Igor, Afterlogic Support

solkmaaker

Posted: 26 April 2022 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote solkmaaker

First script shows exactly those 3 test users that we have on our test env.

But if i look exported database, i see that there are many references in different tables to users that no longer exist.

Like in au_activity_history, au_adav_addressbooks, etc

solkmaaker

Posted: 26 April 2022 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote solkmaaker

Another thing:

Same scenario, but with 3 users.
User1 creates shared calendar, shares it with write permissions to user2 and user3
User2 creates event, adds user1 as guest and sets notification.
But now, when notifications are sent, it is also sent to user3 who is not guest on this event, he just has write access to this calendar.

v9.4.1 sends notification all those who have calendar access.
That's a bit confusing to those who are not guests on event.

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 27 April 2022 at 1:28am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
v9.4.1 sends notification all those who have calendar access.

Yes, that's by design. Once you have a calendar shared with you, you'll be getting its reminders as well, whether you're invited to any events there or not.

Quote:
But if i look exported database, i see that there are many references in different tables to users that no longer exist.

Like in au_activity_history, au_adav_addressbooks, etc

Actually, I believe there's a console command in Aurora for deleting orphan data, but it looks like that part wasn't updated when user groups where introduced. I've reported this to the developers. Thank you.

--
Regards,
Igor, Afterlogic Support

solkmaaker

Posted: 27 April 2022 at 3:48am | IP Logged Quote solkmaaker

Quote:

Yes, that's by design.

Hmm, that's kind of weird. I mean, if event is between two people, but calendar is shared to team of 10, then rest of 8 should not receive notifications since they are not part of event.

Also, they might not even know there is event, because when event is created, they did not receive any e-mail about it.
When event is created, notifications are sent only to participants, but when event time approaches, notification is sent to all.
Kind of inconsistent, don't you think?

Logical solution would be that those who have access can see or create events, but notifications should go only those who have event participants (have accepted).
(did some tests, v9.3.3 does exactly that)
What do you think?

Quote:

Actually, I believe there's a console command in Aurora for deleting orphan data, but it looks like that part wasn't updated when user groups where introduced. I've reported this to the developers. Thank you.

Thank you.
Can you also look into cleaning up eav tables, there is way too much log data that just keeps growing it seems.
Or is there a way to switch it completely off, or at least some part of it?

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 27 April 2022 at 4:09am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
I mean, if event is between two people, but calendar is shared to team of 10, then rest of 8 should not receive notifications since they are not part of event.

Reminders were never meant to be related to event invitations in the first place. If the calendar is shared with you, you do have control over the events, and you can add/remove reminders, but if we do it the way you suggest, the person who adds the alarm won't be receiving it unless they're the organizer. It's also worth noting that if you're invited to an event but the calendar isn't shared with you, you won't be getting those alarms either (again, by-design).

Quote:
Can you also look into cleaning up eav tables, there is way too much log data that just keeps growing it seems.

Not too sure what kind of log data you mean, but as long as you only use the database by v9 installation of the product, it's safe to delete all the tables with "eav" in their names.

--
Regards,
Igor, Afterlogic Support

solkmaaker

Posted: 27 April 2022 at 4:43am | IP Logged Quote solkmaaker

Quote:

Reminders were never meant to be related to event invitations in the first place.

Wouldn't it make more sense to share calendar for example with 10 people so they can see events for their team, like who has some meeting, etc. but in same time they can create meetings just between some small amount of people?
For example, if UI designers have meeting between themselves why would developers need notification about that?
They work in same team, and sometimes they have meeting with designers, but they would not need notification about every event on that shared calendar.

Quote:

It's also worth noting that if you're invited to an event but the calendar isn't shared with you, you won't be getting those alarms either (again, by-design).

Are you sure about this?
Just created event on my private calendar (v9.3.3) and added guest. He received notification about event, accepted it (event was created on his private calendar) and when notification time came, he received notification also.

What i'm trying to say is: the way to create event and add guests is already there.
But shared calendar as such is a good thing to see events that your team is doing, so you will not create event with conflicting time.
If for example, UI people created event in someones private calendar, developers would not see that event.

I think, v9.3.3 shared calendar logic is perfect and v9.4.1 creates unnecessary confusion by sending notifications to those people that are not related to event.
After all, notification is there to notify about current event starting, why send it to those who are not related?

Quote:

Not too sure what kind of log data you mean, but as long as you only use the database by v9 installation of the product, it's safe to delete all the tables with "eav" in their names.

I see there is data about client ID's, browser types, IP addresses, etc.
We never used it, but is EAV viewer obsolete now?

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 27 April 2022 at 6:08am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to share calendar for example with 10 people so they can see events for their team, like who has some meeting, etc. but in same time they can create meetings just between some small amount of people?

That may be a good idea, I think we'll be doing an internal discussion on this in the near future.

Quote:
Are you sure about this?
Just created event on my private calendar (v9.3.3) and added guest. He received notification about event, accepted it (event was created on his private calendar) and when notification time came, he received notification also.

My bad, in fact this is a bit more complicated. When you invite user to an event, they get a copy of that event, basically the entire ICS structure the event is internally represented by, which includes the reminders if any.

But once they accept the invite, they will have a separate copy of the event in their calendar - so from that point, any reminders added by organizer will have no effect for an attendee.

Quote:
I see there is data about client ID's, browser types, IP addresses, etc.
We never used it, but is EAV viewer obsolete now?

It is indeed, it's no longer available from adminpanel of v9, only from v8 admin interface if that one's enabled. EAV tables are not created by v9 admin interface either, and we deliberately don't delete them upon migration from v8, just in case anything goes wrong with the migration.

--
Regards,
Igor, Afterlogic Support

solkmaaker

Posted: 27 April 2022 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote solkmaaker

Quote:

But once they accept the invite, they will have a separate copy of the event in their calendar - so from that point, any reminders added by organizer will have no effect for an attendee.

Some changes do seem to have effect, those that will send new ics, for example if host moves event to next day, new ics will be sent to guest and when he accepts it, event on his private calendar will be moved to next day.

Quote:

It is indeed, it's no longer available from adminpanel of v9, only from v8 admin interface if that one's enabled. EAV tables are not created by v9 admin interface either, and we deliberately don't delete them upon migration from v8, just in case anything goes wrong with the migration.

Understood. Thank you.

solkmaaker

Posted: 06 June 2022 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote solkmaaker

Hello Igor

I see that v9.5.0 is out.
Calendar behaves same way as 9.4.1
(Event notification on shared calendar goes to event guests but also people who can view calendar but are not invited to event and did not receive event notifications when event was created.)

Did you have time to discuss this with your team?

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 06 June 2022 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote Igor

There's no ETA for that, currently we focus on adding new functionality aspects and fixing some bugs, we'll look into this when time permits. Thank you for understanding.

--
Regards,
Igor, Afterlogic Support

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 20 January 2023 at 4:16am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Upon multiple internal discussion, we're going to change the behavior as follows:

1. When users are invited to an event, they will not be receiving reminders created by the event organizer. And if the reminders of the event were updated by the organizer, this will not be considered a change of the event and will not trigger sending notifications to attendees.

2. Reminders in shared calendars are tied to user who created them. Users who have a calendar shared with shouldn't be seeing the reminder created by someone else, instead they should be able to create their own reminders. As such, cron script for sending out reminders will be able to distinguish reminders based on the user they're sent to, it'll be implemented on DAV level as well.

Quote:
I think there may be some clients who would want receive event notification based on that who sees calendar, and others who would like to receive notifications only for those who are related to particular event.

In the light of the above, I'm afraid that will not be possible, the reminders will be added on per-user level.

--
Regards,
Igor, Afterlogic Support

solkmaaker

Posted: 21 January 2023 at 4:26am | IP Logged Quote solkmaaker

I'm a bit confused.

Quote:

1. When users are invited to an event, they will not be receiving reminders created by the event organizer. And if the reminders of the event were updated by the organizer, this will not be considered a change of the event and will not trigger sending notifications to attendees.

Does that mean:
User1 creates event in shared calendar and adds two other users, and those two other users will not get event notification and/or reminder if reminder is set up?
Later on user1 changes event time and two other users who are event participants will not notification about that change?

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 22 January 2023 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
User1 creates event in shared calendar and adds two other users, and those two other users will not get event notification and/or reminder if reminder is set up?

Those two users will be able to set their own reminders for the event. The reminders created by the organizer will not be sent to them. They will, of course, receive the invitation itself, that doesn't change.

Quote:
Later on user1 changes event time and two other users who are event participants will not notification about that change?

If the event time itself changes - yes, they will be notified. I was speaking only about editing the reminders, not the event time.

Hope this makes sense. Thank you.

--
Regards,
Igor, Afterlogic Support

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version