AfterLogic Forum : MailBee.NET SMTP
Subject Topic: Mail subject encoding Issue Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mlts

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03 December 2014 at 6:54am | IP Logged Quote mlts

Hi,
We're using some special UTF-8 characters in our mail subjects.
We found an interesting behaviour in character encoding when using Mailbee SMTP when it comes to mail subjects.
Some special UTF characters (but not all) work ok only when the subject is short. If it becomes longer, some of them turn into two question marks on the client. Of course, displaying UTF is client dependant, but we eliminated client program's fault (MS outlook in this case).
I'm not sure if i can copy + paste the subject here, but I'll try.
What we did was: we sent a few messages using mailbee and by outlook.
Not sure if this is relevant, but mailbee was working in direct sending mode (looking up MX servers on its own. We did not try with a relay server, but I assume its irrelevant).
Sending "topic ☀☁☂🎅🍴" as a subject works fine. (in case your browser can't display it, those are utf characters representing sun, clouds, umbrella, santa clause's face and fork/knive).
Sending "topic ☀☁☂🎅🍴 test asdasd as dasd asd asd as dsad asd asda sd adsad asdggfgf fd fgfd" makes only the first three UTF special characters appear correctly. Last two ones change into unreadable question marks.
Then we have resend the same subjects from outlook, and received it in outlook, the characters appeared fine. This leads me to believe there might be some bug with character encoding in mailbee that depends somehow on the size of the subject and it affects only some of the signs. That, or there is some flag i don't know about and didn't change it.
Thanks.
Back to Top View mlts's Profile Search for other posts by mlts

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 03 December 2014 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Please make sure you're using the latest build of the DLL, it's available for download at:

http://www.afterlogic.com/updates/mailbee_net_2.zip (for .NET Framework 2.0 or above)
http://www.afterlogic.com/updates/mailbee_net_4.zip (for .NET Framework 4.0 or above)

If the issue persists with the latest DLL build, please provide us with a simple self-contained sample which would allow us to reproduce the problem. Please use HelpDesk for sending it. Thanks!

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

Alex
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 04 December 2014 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote Alex

Please download the updated build from the same location. It turned out the issue was related to surrogate characters (composite Unicode characters). It's now fixed.

Regards,
Alex
Back to Top View Alex's Profile Search for other posts by Alex

mlts

Posted: 05 December 2014 at 1:27am | IP Logged Quote mlts

Works great,
Thanks.
Good support too :)
Back to Top View mlts's Profile Search for other posts by mlts

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register