AfterLogic Forum : MailBee SMTP
Subject Topic: ReturnPath Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jesper Gustavss

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 February 2010 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote Jesper Gustavss

Hi

I have a question about the returnpath and reverse lookup.

We are using mailbee and MMQ with the SMTP service on IIS.

Now we are facing problems with delivery because some mail servers use reverse lookup on their incoming mails.

IIS has only a simple SMTP service and there is no actual email account on the machine, so the MX must point to another machine, otherwise we cant get back bounce nor reply.

Is this a solution?
Create a new domain, say, newsletter.test.se and then point that mx-records to my IIS server. Then on the mailbee.smtp object, Ill use the returnpath to my "real" working mailbox. Will this get the bounces and stuff back to my inbox? Or will this be blocked to.

Hope you understand my question.

Regards
//Jesper Gustavsson

Back to Top View Jesper Gustavss's Profile Search for other posts by Jesper Gustavss

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 16 February 2010 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote Igor

IIS SMTP service has sufficient functionality range to achieve what you need. Real email account is not required, what you need is a domain name pointing to the machine you're sending mails from. MX record should point to the same machine, and ReturnPath address specified should be within this domain. In result, you will get all the bounce messages under mailroot, so you can sort them out later.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

Jesper Gustavss

Posted: 16 February 2010 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote Jesper Gustavss

You are a genius, ty very much.

Then I can set a different reply-to adress so I can get a hold of "real" emails, if someone actualy wants to contact us, right?

Any smart components I can use to read from directly from badmail and dropmail folders? I see that in dropmail folder files have extension, eml, but in badmail they have, *.bdr, *.bdp or *.bad.

Thanks again
//Jesper Gustavsson
Back to Top View Jesper Gustavss's Profile Search for other posts by Jesper Gustavss

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 17 February 2010 at 3:35am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
Then I can set a different reply-to adress so I can get a hold of "real" emails, if someone actualy wants to contact us, right?

Of course. Those two are in no way connected directly. From, Reply-To and ReturnPath can be three different addresses.

Quote:
Any smart components I can use to read from directly from badmail and dropmail folders? I see that in dropmail folder files have extension, eml, but in badmail they have, *.bdr, *.bdp or *.bad.

Hmm... Not sure if I understand this precisely. If those folders are accessible via IMAP, you can get mails from there via MailBee IMAP component. And if you have filesystem-level access to them, you can load them with MailBee Objects regardless of file extension, provided that's still EML within of course.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version