AfterLogic Forum : MailBee IMAP4
Subject Topic: no mails seen on 1st login Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
siddharth

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 June 2008 at 5:01am | IP Logged Quote siddharth

Hello,

I just installed and configured MailBee WebMail Pro PHP on a CentOS 5 box. One weird thing i found was that on logging in the first time (i use IMAP), no mails were seen in any of my folders (though it did get all the IMAP folders). I had to go to 'Settings' and check the "Get/Synchronize Mails at Login" check box, logout and then log in again, only then it starts indexing your mails, and takes a really long time to do that (depending on the amount of mails you have).

It looks like this has to be done individually by every user which will certainly be a killer for me as i'm setting this up for 500+ users so i can't expect everyone to do this! I haven't yet found a global setting that can turn this on by default. Am i missing something obvious here? Please do let me know.

- Thanks and regards,
sid.
Back to Top View siddharth's Profile Search for other posts by siddharth

Andrew
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 11 June 2008 at 5:21am | IP Logged Quote Andrew

Quote:
One weird thing i found was that on logging in the first time (i use IMAP), no mails were seen in any of my folders (though it did get all the IMAP folders). I had to go to 'Settings' and check the "Get/Synchronize Mails at Login" check box, logout and then log in again, only then it starts indexing your mails, and takes a really long time to do that (depending on the amount of mails you have).

Try to click "Get Mail" button at the top toolbar, it'll cause receiving messages. "Get/Synchronize Mails at Login" allows automatic receiving messages during logging in.

The time required to receive messages depends on many factors. Their size, mail server load, network throughput, antivirus configuration. Also, you're able to set various sync modes for each folder individually.

In "Direct Mode", you don't have to click "Get Mail" or set "Get/Synchronize Mails at Login" because WebMail accesses messages directly on mail server. However, some features like sorting, search, filtering don't work in this mode.

Try to set "Headers Only" mode, this would cause receiving just message headers, entire messages will be downloaded from mail server only when you try to view them.

Quote:
It looks like this has to be done individually by every user which will certainly be a killer for me as i'm setting this up for 500+ users so i can't expect everyone to do this! I haven't yet found a global setting that can turn this on by default. Am i missing something obvious here? Please do let me know.

There is no global setting for this. However, we're able to provide you with instructions on how to enable it by default for new accounts.

Best regards,
Andrew
Back to Top View Andrew's Profile Search for other posts by Andrew

siddharth

Posted: 11 June 2008 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote siddharth

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for the prompt response.

Quote:

In "Direct Mode", you don't have to click "Get Mail" or set "Get/Synchronize Mails at Login" because WebMail accesses messages directly on mail server. However, some features like sorting, search, filtering don't work in this mode.

Try to set "Headers Only" mode, this would cause receiving just message headers, entire messages will be downloaded from mail server only when you try to view them.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but are you talking about the admin interface or the end-user interface? In the admin interface, under Webmail settings --> Default Mail Server Settings, i see a check box "Allow direct mode". Is this it?

I also don't see any "Headers Only" mode option either in the admin interface or in the user interface. (forgive me if i'm looking in the wrong place!)

Quote:

There is no global setting for this. However, we're able to provide you with instructions on how to enable it by default for new accounts.

The problem is that we are currently installing MailBee as an alternative to our current webmail, in an environment which already has a functioning mail server with 500+ users already registered. Is there some code modification that can help achieve this?

I'm looking at the MySQL DB and i see something like this:

mysql> DESCRIBE awm_accounts;

+----------------------+--------------+------+-----+-------- -+----------------+
| Field         & nbsp;     | Type        | Null | Key | Default | Extra   |
+----------------------+--------------+------+-----+-------- -+----------------+
| getmail_at_login     | tinyint(1)   | NO   |   | 0       |   |
| mail_mode             | tinyint(4)   | NO   |   | 1       |   |

Can't we change the default values of this? (I'm assuming this is the correct place where that setting is stored, please correct me if i'm wrong).

- Thanks and regards,
sid.

Andrew
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 12 June 2008 at 5:52am | IP Logged Quote Andrew

I meant the end-user area, however, "Allow direct mode" in the admin area should be enabled too. Log into your account, then click Settings / Email Accounts, select necessary account and choose necessary mode in "Type of Inbox Synchronization" dropdown.

If you use IMAP account, you should click "Manage folders" below the folders list and set necessary mode for each folder.

To be able to edit these settings, you need to enable "Allow new users to change email settings" in WebMail Admin Console / WebMail Settings.

To learn how to change the default value of getmail_at_login, please refer to this topic of our forum.

Best regards,
Andrew

siddharth

Posted: 17 June 2008 at 5:13am | IP Logged Quote siddharth

Quote:

Log into your account, then click Settings / Email Accounts, select necessary account and choose necessary mode in "Type of Inbox Synchronization" dropdown.

I don't see any dropdown menu like "Type of Inbox Synchronization" under Settings/ Email accounts when i'm logged into my user account. :-(

Again, i need stuff like "Headers Only" mode (if i can find it!) to be globally applied. My users are complaining a lot about how slow the indexing is (even when i logged in twice in the space of about 15 minutes, it took a long time to get the new mails which would have been less than 50 in number). Is there some setting in the DB/code which i can make (like the get_mail_at_login option that you have helped me out with)?

- Thanks and regards,
Siddharth.

Andrew
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 17 June 2008 at 5:37am | IP Logged Quote Andrew

Please make sure "Allow user to change email settings" is enabled for this account in WebMail Admin Console / Users Management.

Best regards,
Andrew

siddharth

Posted: 17 June 2008 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote siddharth

It is. In the admin interface, under Webmail Settings, the check box "Allow new users to change email settings" is checked.

Andrew
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 18 June 2008 at 2:31am | IP Logged Quote Andrew

We've prepared a quick tutorial with screenshots for you.

Does it help?

Best regards,
Andrew

siddharth

Posted: 18 June 2008 at 4:09am | IP Logged Quote siddharth

Ahh... as i suspected, there's the problem. The interface you've shown looks different from what i see! Version difference? I'm using the latest one (i think that's 4.2) PHP Pro.

Is there any way i can send you the screenshot?

Andrew
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 18 June 2008 at 4:12am | IP Logged Quote Andrew

Sure. Or even better provide us with URL pointing to your WebMail installation and a test account on your mail server the issue can be reproduced on.

Best regards,
Andrew

siddharth

Posted: 18 June 2008 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote siddharth

Thank you Andrew. I've raised a support ticket and gotten the acknowledgment mail from your end. The details of the test account are given in my reply to that mail.

- Thanks and regards,
Siddharth.

Andrew
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 18 June 2008 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote Andrew

Thank you for the screenshot and the test account you provided. Although we couldn't access your WebMail installation (it seems to be down), the screenshot states you use WebMail Pro 4.2 and the recommendations we gave are correct. However, you use IMAP account, not POP3 and you should refer to the second part of the tutorial.

Just click "Manage Folders" below the folders list and set necessary sync mode for necessary folders.

Best regards,
Andrew

siddharth

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 5:02am | IP Logged Quote siddharth

Sorry about the webmail access, it's been having some issues.

Quote:

However, you use IMAP account, not POP3 and you should refer to the second part of the tutorial.

Just click "Manage Folders" below the folders list and set necessary sync mode for necessary folders.

Well, i had seen this option quite a while back, but since we're running a professional setup here, most users are likely to have more than 20 IMAP folders. So it will really be a pain for everyone to manage each of them individually. I've already had a lot of user complaints about this since some of my users have thousands of mails dating back many years, and they waited for upto 2 hours before killing off the initial indexing process (which they don't have any way of changing as now we've set the value of get_mail_at_login to 1 by default).

There must be some global setting to do this as well.

Andrew
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 5:27am | IP Logged Quote Andrew

Run the following query in WebMail Pro database, it'll set Direct Mode for all IMAP folders:

Code:
UPDATE awm_folders SET sync_type=5 WHERE id_acct IN (SELECT id_acct FROM awm_accounts WHERE mail_protocol=1)

Best regards,
Andrew

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version