AfterLogic WebMail Lite

AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic WebMail Lite
Subject Topic: Feedback log on test usage Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
chrishermann

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 June 2017 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote chrishermann

I have decided to create a topic to provide feedback on my tests of the Beta FYI.

Initial view is very positive. I like new look and the fact that for most users it will still feel familiar - this is particularly inportant for me as I have one very old user (my 86 yo mother) who finds the thought of any change however small terrifying.

I know this is a Beta package, so one should expect bugs, it is in that spirit that I am providing a list of the good and bad that I come across. My main webmail server currently runs under a Windows based server. I am testing the Beta on a Linux server (Ubuntu 16.04.02) which has both the old Webmail php and Webmail8 Beta installed on it so I can directly compare.

2017-06-08:
Tried to import the contacts list from a csv file exported from the Windows server installation of WM-php into both the Linux installs. WM-php went perfectly. WM8-B did not show the contacts until I logged out and back in. Simply switching to the email page and back to the contacts page did not refresh the contacts list (which was empty prior to the import). Other than that it was fine.

A suggestion for your consideration is to check for duplicate entries. Reimporting a csv file a second time will result in two complete copies of the contacts in both systems. Given the identical information it would be good if this replication was controlled which would make it much easier.

I also checked that the DKIM signing was working properly using a DKIM/DMARC testing site (https://www.emailarchitect.net/domainkeys/doc/html/object_test.htm). WM8-B seems to be interacting perfectly with the rest of the mail system in this regard.
Back to Top View chrishermann's Profile Search for other posts by chrishermann

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 14 June 2017 at 4:31am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Hello, and thank you so much for your feedback!

Quote:
Tried to import the contacts list from a csv file exported from the Windows server installation of WM-php into both the Linux installs. WM-php went perfectly. WM8-B did not show the contacts until I logged out and back in. Simply switching to the email page and back to the contacts page did not refresh the contacts list (which was empty prior to the import). Other than that it was fine.

We have looked into this but were unable to reproduce the problem. Can you please try and see if you get the same behavior at WebMail Lite 8 Beta Live Demo?

Quote:
A suggestion for your consideration is to check for duplicate entries. Reimporting a csv file a second time will result in two complete copies of the contacts in both systems. Given the identical information it would be good if this replication was controlled which would make it much easier.

The behavior in this regard didn't change since version 7 which never had a chance of such kind. In future releases, we do plan to filter duplicates using primary email address of a contact as its identifier, and ensure that there will be no multiple contacts with the same identifier.

Quote:
I also checked that the DKIM signing was working properly using a DKIM/DMARC testing site (https://www.emailarchitect.net/domainkeys/doc/html/object_test.htm). WM8-B seems to be interacting perfectly with the rest of the mail system in this regard.

Honestly saying, WebMail has nothing to do with it, it's all done on mailserver and DNS lookup sides.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

chrishermann

Posted: 17 June 2017 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote chrishermann

Thank you for your response ..

I will try the demo next week and see if that works

I know that the duplication is the same with the previous version, I was suggesting it as an improvement for updates/backup simplification :-)

I did expect DKIM etc to be working, but thought I would check anyway and confirm that it was (just in case some funny happened - its been known before ...)
Back to Top View chrishermann's Profile Search for other posts by chrishermann

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version