Search The ForumSearch   RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

General Issues

AfterLogic Forum : General Issues
Subject Topic: Why I get exception of "Smtp component " Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MichaelIsakov

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 February 2011 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote MichaelIsakov

Hello,

I bought the component MailBee.NET SMTP.
Now, I developed some application that include option of send mail, that I used to the MailBee.NET SMTP component.
After I installed my application in my Client PC and when I want to use this option(send mail) I get exception : "Smtp component not licensed. LicenseKey is invalid. See documentation on LicenseKey property of the component for more information".

why? but, I put the License Key in the screen " Save License Key To Registry";

Thanks.
Michael.
Back to Top View MichaelIsakov's Profile Search for other posts by MichaelIsakov

Alex
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 10 February 2011 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote Alex

Thanks to Microsoft, saving the license key in registry cannot work reliably. The reason is that how the registry works in newer OSes of MS. There are up to 8 registries, and they all look identically to application. The tool which saves the key can write into X branch while another application read this branch and sees nothing. This all depends on how the app is compiled. The same application, compiled with a manifest or not, will see different registries. The same for 32 and 64-bit. And the same for the app which is run under admin privileges or not.

To get the perfect match, you would need up to 8 tools to save into the registry, and run them all (4 of them under admin privileges).

MS invented this virtual registries for compatibility reasons (Vista->XP, 32-bit apps on 64-bit OS, etc) but this only produced real mess.

We ship 2 versions of registry writing utils with MailBee.NET Objects, this should cover most of the situations if you use them both (you may also need to use it twice - under admin and not admin).

Still, there is no guarantee that your application has permission to read the registry (unless it runs under admin rights which is not common for Vista/Seven even if the user has admin rights).

Whenever possible, it's better to set the license key directly in the code.

regards,
Alex
Back to Top View Alex's Profile Search for other posts by Alex

MichaelIsakov

Posted: 10 February 2011 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote MichaelIsakov

Thank you Alex.
I will try what you mean.
Back to Top View MichaelIsakov's Profile Search for other posts by MichaelIsakov

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version