AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic WebMail Lite 7
Subject Topic: No users in db tables Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
chc-pr

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 June 2016 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote chc-pr

Hello everyone,
I hope I am not asking a question which has been answered frequently, I did do a search but nothing of any use came up ... so here goes

I have just installed WebMail Lite on Windows. The connection tests during the installation all worked fine, a database was populated with lots of tables, my hmailserver (5.6.3-B2249) responded properly on both ports 25 and 143.

When I tried to access the mail via Webmail Lite, I get a "error while connecting to mailserver" msg. I went back to my mySQL db (I am using the same mySQL server as for my hmailserver) and checked the tables in the webmail db - all the newly created by Webmail Lite tables were empty.

The topology is the mailserver is on a dedicated machine and the webmail https server is on a VirtualBox VM on a seperate machine. As I said, the installation correctly created a whole set of tables within the specially created webmail db so the two are certainly communicating.

Am I doing something really stupid here or am I missing some config settings?

Thank you everyone's help in advance.
Back to Top View chc-pr's Profile Search for other posts by chc-pr

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 16 June 2016 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Databases used by hMailServer (or any other mailserver used) and WebMail are independent, and user will only be added in WebMail database once that specific user has logged into IMAP account successfully for the first time.

To find out what's causing the problem, enable logging in AdminPanel, make sure verbosity is set to Debug, reproduce the problem and see what's in the logs, look for responses from IMAP server.

Some of the reasons which may be causing this:

1) If "Only already registered users can access WebMail" option in Default settings is checked, that would disallow creating new users in WebMail database, so you would need it unchecked.

2) Make sure that your server details for Incoming mail and Outgoing mail are specified correctly. If you run WebMail and hMailServer on the same machine, you don't need to change anything there, default values with 127.0.0.1 for hostname would work just fine.

3) By default, WebMail assumes that user account login matches full email address. There are cases, however, when login is just the username part of the email address. If that might be the case, set UseLoginWithoutDomain to On in data/settings/settings.xml file.

4) Also, some mailservers (and I'm pretty sure hMailServer is among those) implement auto-ban blocking users from logging in upon several failed logins, so even if you fix the reason of the initial issue, you might still be blocked from mailserver side, and you need to recheck the ban list.

Hope this helps!

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

chc-pr

Posted: 16 June 2016 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote chc-pr

Igor wrote:
Databases used by hMailServer (or any other mailserver used) and WebMail are independent

Was aware of that, but always worth checking the obvious :-)

Quote:
and user will only be added in WebMail database once that specific user has logged into IMAP account successfully for the first time.

I had assumed it would pole the IMAP server, but this makes obvious sense when I think about it ...

Quote:

1) If "Only already registered users can access WebMail" option in Default settings is checked, that would disallow creating new users in WebMail database, so you would need it unchecked.

I think this might be the cause, I'll check tomorrow ...

Quote:

2) Make sure that your server details for Incoming mail and Outgoing mail are specified correctly. If you run WebMail and hMailServer on the same machine, you don't need to change anything there, default values with 127.0.0.1 for hostname would work just fine.

3) By default, WebMail assumes that user account login matches full email address. There are cases, however, when login is just the username part of the email address. If that might be the case, set UseLoginWithoutDomain to On in data/settings/settings.xml file.

4) Also, some mailservers (and I'm pretty sure hMailServer is among those) implement auto-ban blocking users from logging in upon several failed logins, so even if you fix the reason of the initial issue, you might still be blocked from mailserver side, and you need to recheck the ban list.

I do not think it is any of these - it is NOT on the same server, but the FQDN for the host was specified during set up and I had to change the permissions on the mySQL server to get webmail to 'go green' during install ... so I am confident that is working correctly

Full emails are used for logging on, so that is not it either and I checked the ban list - that is OK too. I was aware of this (it is mentioned in the hmailserver documentation too), but again worth checking - I had forgotten to consider this :-)

Thank you for the response. I will advise on my success or otherwise ...

chc-pr

Posted: 17 June 2016 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote chc-pr

For the benefit of anyone doing a future search, you need to go into the Admin Panel pages and set the ip address of the mailserver ... it is not set during the install.

Thank you Igor for your help. Once I knew what to look for it was actually quite straight forward.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version